How does Cartilage Care SS and Glucosamine HCL SS compare with competitor equine joint care products?
There are many different equine joint care products available using either Glucosamine and/or Chondroitin and choosing the right one can be quite difficult.
It is common practise to add bulk fillers to powder equine joint care supplements which dilute the amount of active ingredients you are serving daily.
Bulk fillers like limestone flour or dextrose (a sugar derivative) are non active ingredients and whilst they will cause no harm they are totally unnecessary as pure Glucosamine and Chondroitin are quite palatable.
So, what makes our Horse Joint Supplements different?
Holistic Horse Health equine joint care supplements are:
- Of pharmaceutical grade, this means tested as fit for human consumption.
- Guaranteed as being 90% - 99% pure and therefore high strength
- We do not add any bulk fillers to any of our products.
- The only additive is 36g (3.6%) of Manganese Ascorbate. This is to aid digestion and assist the supplement to be absorbed in the horse’s body, rather then passing straight through.
We also base all our quantities in grams and milligrams, to make it simple. We do not believe in confusing people by switching from 1bs and oz’s to grams and milligrams.
We also advise a higher quantity per serving in our horse joint supplements than many competitors do, even though our products contain higher levels of Chondroitin and/or Glucosamine than any other equine joint care product. This is to insure a maximum effect is achieved as too low a serving will not achieve this and you would therefore be wasting your money.
Lesley has 5 simple rules to help people choose good horse joint supplements:
- Does the product have clear and concise information about the ingredients on the tub label?
- How pure is the product? Are the ingredients over 90% pure and are they of pharmaceutical grade and fit for human consumption?
- Concentrate & Potency of the product. Does the supplement contain fillers to bulk out the weight i.e. do the active ingredients, Glucosamine, Chrondroitin or MSM add up to 90% of the weight. If not, they should do so. There is no need to add bulking fillers to any of the above ingredients because they need to be fed to horses in relatively large amounts (around 10g [10,000mg] per day to an average 15.2hh horse) in order to be effective.
- Are the serving instructions clear or are they confusing, mixing grams and milligrams or ounces and pounds. If so ask yourself why!
- Some products state the serving rate as so many scoops per day and suggest that this will give a massive amount of active ingredients. But very often you are giving your horse a even bigger amount of bulk fillers such as limestone flour, alfalfa and dextrose (to name but a few popularly used cheap fillers) than active ingredients. None of which will have any benefits for your horse’s mobility and all of which you have paid a premium price for!
Imperial and metric comparisons to help you appraise different recommended product servings
1Kg = 1000g, 1000g = 1,000,000mg.
1oz = 28.33g, 1oz = 28,330mg
1lb = 453.28 g, 1lb = 453,280mg
Product comparisons – (Based upon UK prices)
We aim to give value for money, on equine joint care products that really work!
||Contains: 12g = 2g of Chondroitin and 10g of Dextrose (Dextrose is a derivative of sugar.)
||Cost - around 5.41p per gram
||A 12 g serving of Cartilage Care SS would give you 3g of Chondroitin + 8.56g of Glucosamine + 0 .44g manganese ascorbate to aid absorption. - Cost - 8.3p per gram.
|Gold label Glucosamine + 5000
||Contains around 150g Glucosamine and 15g of Vitamins C (Ascorbate) per 900g.
||Cost - around 1.88p per gram
||A 10g serving of Gold label Glucosamine would give you 1.66g (1,660mg) of Glucosamine.
||A 10g serving of Glucosamine Super Strength would give you 9.64g (9,640mg) of Glucosamine HCL - Cost- 5.3p per gram ( i.e. over 5 1/2 times more Glucosamine) for less then 3 times the cost per gram.
||Each oz (28.33g) contains 5000mg (5g) of Glucosamine. Cost per 28.33g maintenance serving - around £1.32
||Cost around 4.69p per gram
||Sold in a 3.75lb tub (1.7Kg). They recommend 3 oz (84.99g) per day for a month, then 1 oz per day as a maintenance serving. (28.33g)
A 28.33 g serving of Glucosamine HCL Super Strength, would give you 27,310mg (27.3g) of Glucosamine. Cost - 5.3p per gram. Cost per 28.33g serving - £1.50 (i.e. Over 5 times as much Glucosamine per gram at less then a penny more per gram.) NB. The maintenance requirement for Glucosamine HCL is usually around 10g, giving 9.64g of Glucosamine HCL, at a cost of 53p per day.
A 28.33g serving of Cartilage Care SS would give you 70,700mg (7.07g) of Chondroitin Sulphate and 20,284mg (20.285g) of Glucosamine HCL, at 8.3p per gram.
||Each 908g of Cortaflex contains 61,7000mg (61.7 g) of Glucosamine and 61.7g of mucopolysaccharides. Muccopolysaccharides is a component of Cartilage (glucosaminoglycan). Chondroitin is a major component of Cartilage itself. Each 908 g of Cortaflex would give 61,700mg (61.7g) of Chondroitin.
||Cost- around 5.50p per gram
||10g of Cortaflex would give 680mg (0.680g) of Glucosamine and 680mg (0.680g) of Chondroitin. - Cost- 55p per 10g serving.
A 10g serving of Cartilage Care SS will give 7,140mg (7.14g) of Glucosamine HCL and 2,500mg (2.5g) of Chondroitin Sulphate - Cost- 83p per 10g serving.
A 10g serving of Glucosamine Super Strength would give you 9.64g (9,640mg) of Glucosamine HCL - Cost- 5.3p per gram or 53p per 10g serving.
|Reflex Equine Powder
||Contains Glucosamine HCL and Chondroitin
||Cost- around 12.63p per gram.
||Each 10g serving will give 5,460mg (5.46 grams) of Glucosamine HCL and 1,820mg (1.82g) of Chondroitin Sulphate. - Cost -£1.26 per 10g serving.
||A 10g serving of Cartilage Care SS will give 7,140mg (7.14g) of Glucosamine HCL and 2,500mg (2.5g) of Chondroitin Sulphate - Cost- 83p per 10g serving
||A quality product manufactured in the USA and only available through Veterinary Surgeons in the UK.
||Cost - around 20p per gram
Sold in 700g tubs for around £140+ per tub. (Equivalent to £200 per Kg.)
Each 10g serving of Cosequin will give approximately 10g of Glucosamine, 1.8g of Chondroitin Sulphate & mixed glucosaminoglycans
|A 10g serving of Cartilage Care SS will give 7,140mg (7.14g) of Glucosamine HCL and 2,500mg (2.5g) of Chondroitin Sulphate - Cost- 83p per 10g serving.